Saturday, September 18, 2010

Small World

Tonight was a small trip down memory lane.  A couple of weeks ago  my husband - who is the Stake Clerk - told me that Stake Conference was coming up and a General Authority was visiting.  We usually have a dinner with the Stake Presidency before the Adult evening session and this dinner would include this General Authority and would I please make a trifle because this GA just happened to be British. 

What does that happen to do with me?  Well just in case you didn't know, I served an LDS mission to Manchester England.  The above picture was in one of my areas- I lived just around the corner.  Anyway this worried me (the whole making of trifle thing) because it is one thing to make it for Americans who have never had it before and quite another to make it for someone who is used to authentic trifle.  I stewed about it and ended up making two of them just to be safe.

So tonight I walked into the Stake Center and Elder Munday approached me, shook my hand and all he could talk about was how he couldn't wait to eat the trifle, he hadn't had any in ages.  In fact he loved it so much I gave him the extra one to take to his kids at the hotel.

Such a wonderful evening.  Elder Munday's brother served with me in my mission (although I never met him), and Elder Munday was mission president over a part of England where my ex fiance served as Branch President.  He and his family are amazing people. I loved their spirit and listening to him speak took me back 20 years to a place I loved.  I spent the evening listening to his wonderful message about family, and getting lost in the words, accent, and experiences of 18 months of my life that changed everything.

Did anyone not see "You've Got Mail"?  There is a scene where Meg Ryan is emailing a message about Pride and Prejudice and she says she gets lost in the words such as thither and mischance.  That scene kept running through my mind as I listened to Elder Munday use phrases like - drive you crackers - car park- shilling - and watching him eat with his fork and knife the way that only the British do well.  Then listening to him bear his testimony and feeling the same feelings I feel.  Isn't it wonderful how the gospel, testimonies and the Spirit are completely universal.  Something missionaries in all parts of the world learn quickly.

It is a small world.