Friday, September 24, 2010

bobby vinton my special angel



Today is my grandpa's birthday.  I wish my scanner worked, I would put a picture of him on here.  He was my hero for as long as I can remember.

Grandpa descended from sheepherders and polygamists.  He was as humble as they come.  He met my grandma Beatrice on his mission - he was released and got permission to go on a date with  her while he was still in Canada (Apparently they could do that back then). He asked her to marry him on their second date and she agreed.  He went back to Fountain Green Utah where he was promptly called as Bishop so grandma took the train to America and they were married.


She was killed in a car accident when my dad (who was the oldest child) was 8.  A year later my grandfather married her sister Lucy, who is the only grandma I have ever known here but my relationship with Beatrice is one I cherish.  Don't ask - long story.

Anyway from the time my memory starts my grandfather called me His Special Angel.  I still to this day don't know why. I don't know the history behind it but I cherish it.  All of my life I wanted to find the sheet music to the song above, and sing it for my grandpa.  I never got the chance.  I used to feel guilty and hoped that none of my brothers or sisters or cousins thought Grandpa loved them any less because he didn't call them his special angel. 

He taught me to love BYU.  For years he was one of the official scorekeepers at BYU football and basketball games.  He built the original electronic scoreboard that hung in the Smith Fieldhouse.  That was where they played before the Marriott Center was built. I remember as a little girl when Danny Ainge, Steve Trumbo, Fred Roberts et al played in the NCAA. I still remember crying when they lost because I knew they would be sad.  So I wrote them a little note telling them I loved them and thought they were the best team ever.  My sweet grandpa took that note to their coach and they posted it in the locker room.  I felt famous forever. :)

My grandpa died in 2006.  A small piece of me died with him.  I am glad he is with grandma Beatrice again but I miss him alot.  Happy Birthday Grandpa - I love you forever!!