Monday, September 20, 2010

Motherhood

I'm a mother - you already know that.  Well the past few weeks I have discovered that I am not really a very good one.   

Small children were busy, fun and exhausting.  However when they went to bed there was peace in the home and a respite for mom.  I could read or watch movies with my husband.   I could even get some cleaning done that I had not been able to do earlier. I worried about them when they were awake but when they slept I knew they were safe.

Teenagers never sleep.  So if you don't have any yet just prepare yourself.  You want to watch a movie with your husband - ha good luck.  Every evening on the weekend all TVs are confiscated to play video games with friends or watch movies themselves.  Or - and this is always fun - stick in a romantic movie and instantly they gravitate to the room you are in and watch it with you.  So much for romance.  :)  I worried about them when they were out but once everyone returned and the doors were locked, the peace returned and I knew they were safely home again.

What I have discovered just recently is that I have a hard time with one of the major steadfast rules of being a good parent.  A good parent can let go.  A good parent steps back and lets their children make their own mistakes and learn from the consequences.  College is rough on me.  I stress because I see my college student is up all night (I can thank facebook for that information). I know she is making mistakes because she has the freedom to do so.  It about kills me.  I don't sleep well anymore, and I feel sick to my stomach all of the time.  Do you see my problem?  I think it all boils down to the fact that one of my precious children isn't home safe every night.  I have no control and no way to protect her. 

Funny thing is I trust her.  This child has come a long way in her life and I am so proud of her.  She will make mistakes and learn from them.  I just hope they don't cost me too much - lol just kidding.  That will be the first lesson learned for her.  I am hoping that as time passes so will my control freakiness. (Is that a real term?)  Well it fits.